SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spirit 23 keel cable conduit blocked
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013

riverspirit is on a distinguished road
Re: Spirit 23 keel cable conduit blocked

My understanding about this boat is that there is 1000 lbs. of lead ballast in the shoal keel the centerboard swings into. So even without the board I should still have most of the stability. So there is no safety issue. The only problem I see is not being able to point to the wind as well. The shoal keel looks substantial enough to prevent most of the crabbing.

I managed to snake a wire through the cable tubing but still have a piece of broken cable stuck at the end, still giving it a chance to unclog before installing new tubing.

A new problem I found, and glad I found, is the cockpit drain flexible tubing that drains to the back thru-hull fittings deteriorated to the point I could poke my finger into it. The hose clamps have rusted off the upper connection and the lower can't be removed because of rust. The thru hull fitting don't look great so I will replace them as well as the tubing. IT is not complicated just difficult to access. This could have sunk me. Although this boat does have positive buoyancy as I discovered in the hurricanes of 2004 when another boat adrift put a hole in mine. I was able to bring back up by bailing with a 5 gallon bucket all day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook