SailNet Community - View Single Post - UK Tape Drive Sails
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: UK Tape Drive Sails

That is a big difference for a 24 footer. I know my Merit Quantum sails are fusion M string sails. The strings are technora and they're holding up really well. The #1 I got in the middle of 2009 and it's still a good sail. Couple holes in it now, but nothing serious. The main is the same technology, main was about 2k and the jib was 1800 or 1900?

I didn't like how carbon holds up over time. It's a great fiber but breaks down when flexing. It's extremely light but with my crew, sometimes the jib gets stuffed into the forehatch instead of being flaked (when racing), and that's something carbon won't enjoy. I liked the durrability of technora better. For boats our size, stretch isn't a huge concern.

In the end it's your decision. I also requested that my main and jib be made with slightly more fibers (dpi) in it than what the designers spec'd. This does add a little weight, but for distance racing I believe it has helped keep my sails in better order. I feel like North tries to make the lightest and fastest sails possible without much thought to longetivity. They’re super fast sails…….for 2 years. 3DLs used to be called 3 Days Long for a reason.

My racing consists of bouy stuff, overnights, 50-70 and 120+nm down the bay races. I don't really bother with the club level racing.