SailNet Community - View Single Post - The most versatile recipe's ever
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The most versatile recipe's ever

The best cream gravy.

I prefer to use bacon drippings or drippings from the sliced breakfast sausage.
You never have the same amount of fat so you need to "eyeball it".
If you have too much fat in the pan, just drain into your bacon grease keeper.
The ratio of flour would be to start with minimal flour maybe a heaping teaspoon not too high, and stir into the hot fat. if you have too much flour, just add a little more of the drippings. If you don't have enough bacon grease, just use a little oil.
You are going to want the consistency to be not too thick, but then not too thin. Too thick will be lumps of flour, and not a smooth slightly thick consistency for browning.
When you have a nice consistency, add some salt and raise the heat to brown the flour to a nice golden brown stirring constantly. (This is called a roux, and is how many southern dishes are thickened. I love the cream gravy use of it, brown gravy, and the gumbo use of it.)
You are going to want to have your milk and some water ready for when the flour is browned and hot!
Add the milk stirring constantly, (I start with about 1-1.5 c depending on how much flour mixture I make) bringing the mixture back to a slight boil, paying attention to the thickening.
You may use only milk or milk and water. Using just water will make a nice gravy, but it will not be cream gravy.
Too much liquid will result in a watery type gravy, so you will want to add additional liquid gradually, incorporating it into the hot liquid quickly, stirring constantly.
Remember, if your gravy is too thin, just cook on low heat stirring constantly to reduce and thicken.

When its' done! OMG Use on bisquits for breakfast, rice, or good ole fashioned Chicken Fried Steak! Yum!

Last edited by bwalker42; 10-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook