SailNet Community - View Single Post - Add Roller Furling: Cost estimates
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Add Roller Furling: Cost estimates

I'm with Tommays; I was fine with my hank on jib, but once I put the roller furling on, it was like a revalation. I'll never go back.

I spent $800 for the whole thing: furler, hardware, and jib mods for an Oday 23. My sailmaker is a CDI dealer, and he knows he has to compete with the internet, so he offered to sell me the unit for whatever the best price was I could find online.

For the furler (CDI), I had my sailmaker put the thing together for me. It didn't look difficult, but getting the foil to flatten out is really a two man job and I didn't have help readily available. I did the "installation" myself with the mast down. I had a luff tape and foam put on my jib, and I bought some stantion blocks to run the furling line back to the cockpit. One thing to keep in mind with the CDI: if your current headstay is already "long" (i.e., your turnbuckle is already adjusted to take up a lot of slack), then you will probably need to replace the headstay. The CDI uses the existing turnbuckle/headstay and if it can't be shortened enough to accomodate a portion of the furler's length, you will have to buy a new, shorter headstay. I had just replaced all of my standing rigging a year or two before buying the furler so I really didn't want to have to buy a new headstay; luckily, things fit just fine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook