SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
beam and sailing upwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
I also think one of the reason for the, by todays standard, extremely narrow hulls of Faurby and Luffe is the simple fact that the boxes are that narrow up here.

I also think that to some extent there is too much negative talk about going to windward with the beamy boats. I also have nothing against beating, in fact I very much prefer it compared to to reaching in the 8-18 knots. And even if I can not reach your angle of attack it is still pretty good and not uncomfortable at all, not even in a seaway of decent magnitude. I can easily outrun all normal cruisers (does sailing interested enough to not motor) and keep for instance a well sailed Dehler 36 behind. A good Comfortina 39 was tough though. Same speed but higher angle.

Regards,
Anders
Anders the Comfortina 39 is a fast boat for a cruiser but I would not call it really a performance cruiser. Letīs say that it is in between a performance cruiser and a luxury cruiser like the HR or Najad.

Beamy boats have not a problem going fast upwind with flat water. It is with harder weather and waves that a slimmer hull can make the difference. With flat water a beamy light boat has a very narrow foot print, as narrow has a narrow boat with the same weight but with waves you have to consider wave drag and that is much bigger on a beamier boat (the wave if big enough will involve almost all hull and then all beam counts has wet surface). A beamier boat will also to carry more sail for the same speed upwind (and it can because it has a lot more hull stability) but that extra power for the same speed imply a passage in power and therefore more uncomfortable motion.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook