SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dengue Fever in Stuart!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road
Re: Dengue Fever in Stuart!

[Documentry]
Dengue (aka "Break-Bone") fever is transmitted via the Aedes mosquito. There are four types of dengue viruses that can cause this illness. The infection is not passed between human beings directly. Anything that reduces the mosquito population (eg: winter) will reduce the risk of exposure. While life threatening complications in normal, healthy adults are rare, the severity of symtoms can be debilitating. Symptoms in young children and infants are very minor in comparison to adults and older children. There are no anti-viral treatments available for Dengue, treatment is symtomatic. As there are 4 known strains of Dengue, re-infection is possible, and it is believed that individuals so re-infected are more suseptable to complications due to the antbodies present from the original infection. Control of outbreaks is best accomplished via control of the mosquito carrier. Additional information on arboviral (or arthropod-borne) diseases in Florida is available here
[/Documentary]

Personal opinion.... Much ado about nothing. Miami Dade had 61 cases confirmed thru July of this year. While I am sure Stuart officials are concerned, and ready to throw time and tax dollars at the "problem", it sounds like the results of a slow news day to me.
While I caught my dose of "Break-Bone" in the western Pacific in the 70's and would prefer not to repeat the experience, I would be much more concerned about getting hit by a runaway beer truck.

Onboard - Solitaire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook