SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caliber LRC 40
Thread: Caliber LRC 40
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
Another option

Let me add another option to those considering the Caliber 40 LRC. I was shopping about 3 years ago for a boat to liveaboard and cruise the Caribbean. I started with some general requirements for what I wanted and went shopping from there.

What I wanted was high build quality, big storage, go-anywhere capability, a shoal draft for US East coast and Bahamas, big tankage, something I could ground and sail away without damage, and an easy to handle rig.

In a matter of months, I found the Caliber LRC 40, 38' Cabo Rico, 40' Valiant, 42' Valiant, 40' Island Packet and 42' Island Packet most closely suited my tastes and needs.

I shopped the market pretty hard. I came close to really liking the Caliber, but found the nav station, master berth "desk", and some interior materials and finish to be unimpressive compared to the Island Packet. I really liked the idea of big tankage on the LRC, but was turned off by the rest of the package.

In the end, I bought a 1999 Island Packet 40 and am very happy with it. I've seen many IP's and Calibers down island, so both are obviously capable. Unfortunately, you won't find a new IP40. The replacement for the 40 was the 420. Prices on the 420, even for the same model year as my 40, are typically 100-200k higher. Take a look at a used 40. Side by side, the IP40 is much bigger and has equal if not more storage. She holds 90 gallons of diesel and 170 gallons of water--less than the LRC but probably twice that of a Catalina.

My boat has encapsulated lead in the keel, handles well (though definitely a learning curve dockside), and will keep pace or pull away from nearly all the boats I've cruised with.

Best Wishes,
Dan Forter
S/V Eventyr
www.ipphotos.com/eventyr
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook