SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on 34 Citation
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013

Stovetop is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on 34 Citation

I've owned an Irwin 34 '79 for 6+ years and have had a great time with this boat in the Chesapeake bay. Great cabin layout and she sails well to the wind. Her for triangle is huge, I have the keel cb set up and she is a bit tender, in 15+ kts you'll be reefing the main. When I got the boat there was a lot of water damage to the finish carpentry in the cabin due to a poor mounting design of the portlights. I ripped out all of the wood paneling,mounted the portlights directly to the fiberglass and replaced the interior wood work. There have been some structural issues in her past. At some point her sb shroud dislodged the small wooden bulkhead it is strapped to. The chain plates on both sides were then extended to tie into the fiberglass as well as the bulkheads. A survey was done after the repair and said it is now stronger then the original design. I have not had any problems. So after two winters of work i have her pretty dry an looking good. Curlew is a great bay boat and the yanmar 2qm is bullet proof...knock on wood
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Stovetop For This Useful Post:
dave c (01-03-2014)