SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from Tampa to Key West
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from Tampa to Key West

I just did that trip and do it often. I seriously suggest that you leave Marco in the late after noon so to arrive at the entrance to the North West Channel in mid morning. It's a nice over night passage. You don't want to hit that channel at night. It's intimidating even to me who runs through it all the time. all the channel Markers get lost in the lights from town. Many people leave Marco in the early morning and hit the channel right at sun set and have a @#!*% of a time finding there way around in the harbour in the dark. I know the harbour like my pocket but if you don't know it it's a little difficult. The bright lights of town ruin night vision. Just my two cents worth. I would pull into the town fuel dock in Key West Bight first and figure out where I'm going to go from there. They have the big pilings painted red just in side the jetty and it's an easy dock to pull up to. They also accept the payment for the dinghy dock if you'll be anchoring out or they have transient slips available. I would anchor up off Flemming key if thats what your planning to do. The further to the N.E. up the key you go the nicer it is. That depends on how good your dinghy is.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-14-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.aaron For This Useful Post:
judika (09-18-2013)