SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Rode Spectra?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Rode Spectra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchormanagement View Post
You know, every boat I ever fished on over 50 feet uses chain and cable. I don't think that cable stretches. I did call Novabraid before I posted. The guy there seemed to think that because the working load limit of the rope was so much greater than that of the chain that it should be fine as anchor line. He did not try to talk me into going back to nylon. He said I was correct in assuming no shock mitigation but that the line would not break. I'm thinking that you guys are correct. I don't want to stress out the entire system. If I go with 5/8 double braid my chain will likely end up being reduced to around 50' and my rode to 150'. That's half the available scope that I have now. I'll look into down sizing the chain to 3/8 grade 43 to regain some scope. As far as plait goes... I just now looked that up. Working load limit for 5/8 is only 932 lbs. : : : UNIROPE LTD. : : Fiber Ropes : : : That's much to light.
I believe you may be mistaken as to the strength of plait. For example, NE Ropes 5/8" mega braid mooring cable is rated at 10,300#. Take a look at New England Ropes - Product Details
I believe that the SailNet Store, appearing to the left of this frame, may also offer mooring line with similar capabilities.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook