SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Najad went down together witn new owner Nord-West motoryahts. It took a long time until a real estate developer and a local motor yacht reseller bougt the lot. As saying goes right now there are not any plans to restart Najad.

Maxi is now owned by Delphia so is it a Maxi or Delphia - hm...but carrying the Maxi label,

Yes, I know that the more waves the slower a beamier hull will be. The message I wanted to bring forward was that these beamy boats can be rather nice going upwind in - as Yacht magazine also concluded in their test. And sorry, it was a Comfortina 42 with racing sails and definitively without all the extras I had on board. And it is a rather sharp boat. The Dehler 36 with racing sails and a competent crew, also without all the stuff I had on board and a dingy trailing after me, that I rolled ower did not either had a chance against that boats, as all the other boats doing the 15 NM miles beat that day upp Lilla Bält in Denmark. Yes, flat water but also only 8-10 knots of wind.

Regards,
Anders
Nice discussion and I think in the end we agree.

Yes, beamy fast boats can go very well upwind in flat water and even with waves, even if not so well, because they are powerfull (hull stability + big ballast or big draft) but at at cost of a more uncomfortable motion.

Yesterday on the Corinth Golf, while must boats were motoring against the wind or coming back I was beating upwind with 20/24k wind and 1.5/2m waves on genoa only (sometimes full) making 26º off the wind (apparent) and a speed between 6.3 and 7.3K. In the end I made the 20K to the next port (directly upwind) at a VMG between 4 and 5K. That's the conditions were a narrow boat will have the advantage. Probably a Luffe 40.04 would have been even faster than my boat, certainly a J122 would.

Regarding Maxi and Delphia, I think Maxi will have a great degree of Independence, the same way Grand Soleil has under Bavaria ownership or Dehler under Hanse.

Guys, I have no internet anymore because I am crossing to Italy so I will not be around much.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 09-15-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook