SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about singlehanding
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007

superdave is on a distinguished road
Question Question about singlehanding

I've been reading a lot lately about learning to sail, and have found myself visualizing the techniques, etc. I know many people single-hand somewhat large boats, and am very much interested in making this a focus of my learning (eventually - I'm not crazy). It seems that, during a tack or gybe, that there is a lot to do - two headsail sheets to contend with, adjusting the mainsheet to keep from smacking the boom, keeping the tiller moving smoothly through the tack, and many more depending on the circumstances. I don't want to learn singlehanding by relying on electronic systems and automatic mechanisms - I want to sail a simple boat! (Not to mention, that's what I've bought).

So I was wondering if anyone would like to describe some of these basic procedures as they manage them singlehandedly... it seems that all of the basic books want me to learn only how each crewmember would do their job, and the books I've seen on singlehanding focus more on advanced subjects. How in the world does one man slack the lee sheet, prepare the windward sheet, and manage the boom, all while still holding a tiller and paying attention to the speed/progress of the helm through the tack?

Thanks all!

-Dave
'74 Coronado 23 MkII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook