SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helm Chair??
Thread: Helm Chair??
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Helm Chair??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Why would you sit behind the wheel on passage? Most of us sit under the dodger with the autopilot steering. Instruments, especially chartplotter/radar should be mounted where they can be seen from under the dodger. If you have a stack of displays on your pedestal consider moving them.
That's where I sit and sometimes catch some zzzzs, right under the dodger with an egg timer on. Gps and radar are mounted on the cabin bulkhead, not on the pedestal. There is actually room for a seat in front of the pedestal if some sort of folding chair were available. I've looked at 32" high folding chairs (the canvas, folding type wood director's chair). One of those might work. There are times when the windvane isn't being used and there's enough boat traffic to require being at the wheel all day (like going down Chespeake Bay trying to weave in and out of all the f$%^ing boats with those damnable floats they drag trying to catch a Bass. That's when a comfortable seat would be nice. The issue is mostly with forward field of vision. Sitting on the cockpit seats is comfortable but too low to get a good look ahead. I sometimes put a cushion on top of a pail to sit high enough but have managed to lose a couple of cushions doing that. Guess I'll just have to get some sort of seat and attach it to the top of the little aluminum ladder. I cut the ladder at just the right height to see under the boom/over the dodger.