SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mirage Yachts Ltd
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirage Yachts Ltd

I was very fortunate to find a 1977 Mirage 24 that has had inside winter storage for years and was well cared for. She has dry decks and hull. My surveyor suggested rebedding deck hardware every two years.
A service manager at Manitowoc Marina in Wisconsin uses 4200 as a sealant instead of 5200 because parts can be removed where 5200 may break gelcoat and fiberglass. Morris Yachts uses Bytul tape. I wish I had known that before rebedding chain plates with 5200. I still have a leak near the head which I thought was the chain plate. I sat in the boat today during a rainstorm looking for leaks anywhere and everywhere. I found two leaks. One is around the waste pumpout. The other is the vent. When it stops raining I can hopefully stop the leaks.

Thought I'd edit/add to this response as I fixed yet another leak. The main hatch cover squeaked when slid open and closed. I removed it to clean the track and inside of the cover. I removed the mahogany stop that runs athwartships between the two tracks. Found evidence of water getting inside and running down the starboard side of the liner and dripping on the starboard settee through holes drilled in the liner where a rope clutch was installed on deck. I rebedded the wood stop with 4200. Haven't seen water since on the settee. The deck head pumpout still leaks. I guess I'll have to remove it and rebed.
-CH

Last edited by Chas H; 10-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook