SailNet Community - View Single Post - Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

I suggest you subscribe to Cruising World, Sail, etc. and read everything by the Dashews. You will quickly learn that one simply cannot go cruising in anything less than a brand new $500K 40 footer or larger, as any fool already knows.

I wish someone had told me all this long ago and saved me the trouble of living aboard and cruising for the last 23 years in an Albin Vega 27. Had I only known, I would never have sailed (Three times) between Hawaii and the US Mainland and Alaska in it, cruised the San Juans, the US Pacific Coast and SE Alaska. Instead, I would still have a photo clipped from one of the above magazines taped to my refrigerator trying to save enough money to buy the afore mentioned 40 foot ketch. /s

Tania Aebi sailed around the world in a Contessa 26. Tony Skidmore, Nick and Jenny Coghlan and several others have circumnavigated in a Vega. Matt Rutherford sailed around the Americas, nonstop, through the Northwest passage and around Cape Horn in a Vega. Jarle Andhoy sailed from Norway to Tierra Del Fuego solo then, with crew, cruised Antarctica in a Vega.

$10K is a little light, even for a Vega, but it can be done if you ignore the marketing pressures of the advertising driven magazines and the advice of armchair sailors who "Wouldn't go cruising in anything less than (Fill in the blank)"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook