SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailboat and ferry collide!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: sailboat and ferry collide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Rule #1: AVOID COLLISION. Have you ever been through NY Harbor? Ferries of all sizes, speeds, shapes are all over the place, transiting currents that sometimes move at 4 knots. They don't run sailboats down. The smaller ferries are VERY maneuverable and predictably abide by all the usual rules of the road. If, as a small vessel, you follow those rules there is no problem whatsoever. The more I read of this collision, the more it becomes clear that the ferry was mostly at fault.

The main problem with larger, fast moving craft in open water is that they fail to keep an adequate lookout many times. Complacency, as mentioned above is probably the cause. It seems that sometimes they put the boat on autopilot and forget to pay attention. I have seen this occur on more than one occasion. I had a near-miss a couple of years ago with a tanker that was oblivious to the fact that I was ahead of him, changed course as I was attempting to gth out of his way, and nearly ran me down. No passing signal, No radio contact, Nothing. Oblivious. If coming from behind all the avoidance in the world on your part is useless if a large, fast moving ship is not paying attention. The only thing you can do is to move at right angles to where he MAY be heading as soon as you detect him coming from behind but if he is altering course, that is impossible to figure.
It gets to be a cat and mouse game out here sometimes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook