SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailboat and ferry collide!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: sailboat and ferry collide!

My understanding is that the collision occurred north of Upright Head. This is a more challenging part of the San Juans when it comes to ferries. They come through Upright Channel, heading both to Sidney, B.C. and Friday harbor. They head to Shaw and Orcas island from there. More traffic heads to Anacortes through Lopez Sound.

Further complicating things is that sometimes the ferries turn around when they exit the Lopez Island ferry dock.. Most of these channels are "blind" corners, since the surrounding terrain is so high.

For me, at least, this part of the San Juans is where you need to be the most careful when it comes to the ferries. They are fast, and at times, aggressive. I always keep well clear of them.

I was sailing Upright Channel this summer in very light winds, and stayed well to the north, to avoid the ferries. My dad (a circumnavigator) thought I was being paranoid, until he saw in quick succession, a ferry coming out of the Lopez Island dock, down from Orcas, and up Lopez Sound.

It attracted his attention.

P.S. Sorry we didn't stop by for a visit, JRD.. The flag was down, and you weren't home.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook