SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learned something(s) today
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Learned something(s) today

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, this could do wonders for one's performance under sail, alright...

Maybe just me, but it just seems SO much simpler to keep your lines/sheets from going overboard, to begin with :-)

It's not so much keeping your lines aboard; I'm thinking more of the junk that's floating around out there. Every time I go beachcombing, I find swathes of netting, and line ranging from monofilament fishing line to hawser an inch in diameter. A couple of years ago, I found 100' of 3/8" three-strand.

I don't know the effect on boat speed, but losing the use of your boat for a week will sure put a crimp in your schedule. The cage pictured above is a home-made unit. There may be more efficient low-drag designs available. Maybe our boat-designer friends know something about them? It would also be helpful if manufacturers had a drag-coefficient table for their products, wouldn't it?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook