SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learned something(s) today
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Learned something(s) today

I have a Spurs cutter. Much less expensive than a haul out. Fairly easy to install, when you come out for the winter.

I hit a pot about 30nm off the coast of Boston. We were motoring in absolute dead calm. My wife still swears it had already been cut and was adrift, rather than actually being set out there. It's possible.

The bottom line is, the float was black and half submerged. I didn't see it until it just slipped under the hull. Rather than pull to neutral, as one should, I ridiculously tried evasive maneuvers and grabbed the line. Then went to neutral, like I should have initially!

A quick drop in forward did nothing. Then reverse and I heard it clunk and the float came up from under the boat. Good to go.

The alternative would have been to have to go swimming in the Gulf of Maine in June. I will never be without a cutter again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook