SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary night sail
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

This experience has really upped my game.
One challenge is that I have to handle docking myself.

Since Charlie can't get high enough to see well in close quarters I have to drive and then move forward and get off the boat and grab both the bow and stern lines.

I found it a little challenging to be able to be at both ends of the boat at once.
So I have recently come up with a strategy that seems to work.
Don't forget I have very pretty power boat to my starboard with no poles or any other protection.

I have a 30' bow line and about a 20' stern line.
I tie them together with a square know and leave them draped over the life lines.

After I make my left turn into the slip I allow the bow to swing past the pole on the port side.
Then I put it in reverse to slow the boat down and the bow swings starboard and the boat gets about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way into the slip.
This lets me get close enough to leave the engine in idle and go forward and step off the boat with the bow line.
I tie the bow line on the middle cleat as if it was a spring line.
By now the stern is starting to float away towards the power boat.
I can power reel in the bitter end of the bow line which since it is tied to the end of the stern line means that in about two seconds I have the stern line which if I pull it in tight forces the boat forward and pulls in the bow.
Now I can go fetch the bow breast line and tie it off.

This worked better than having someone on board attempting to throw me the stern line because if the throw misses I'm in trouble.

Based on my prior experience now that I think I've got the process down the next time I'll screw up royally.

If anyone has a better way to do this I'm all eyes.

My next big idea is to electrical tape or magic marker the dock lines where I want them so I can get them in the right place on the first or second try.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook