SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
As I watch the sailing world warm up (sort of) to the AC72s, I wonder what the pressure will be for the next AC to do something jaw dropping. Can you really go back to slower boats after this and not lose fans? Is there any place in NZ that has the consistent winds SF Bay does? This might be hard to top.
Dalton is on record as saying two things that are both in my view game changers. If they win the cup (and whilst that may appear likely it isn't yet guaranteed) their intention is:

- to make it more affordable and encourage more syndicates to participate. That doesn't mean slower boats - it just means smaller, less expensive ones.

- to make the entries more "national" - don't know whether he means that participants (crew) will be required to hold a passport of the country they're sailing for or if just the syndicate represents a country. That is contradictory to AC protocol in my view because historically the Defender and Challenger were required to represent a legitimate yacht club, not a country. Unkindly I think he means the former because as I have suggested in previous posts, if New Zealanders are forced to sail for New Zealand, the challengers have a considerably smaller pool of talent to draw on and ETNZ will have the best of the best.

Let's see who wins this AC before speculating.

Oh, and no, we (Auckland) don't have those consistent winds but then racing shouldn't be only about heavy-ish weather. It's always been said that real sailors win in light airs. I wouldn't mind seeing these monsters sailing downwind under an acre of Code Zero. I reckon they could triple true wind speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook