SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it time to fire the crew?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it time to fire the crew?

By taking Kostecki off the boat they reduced their American crew content by 50% - just saying. But they have definitely got a better formula in the past few days.

Getting back to original post, the sailing of these boats must be compared to any other sport that requires a high level creative talent. That can't be switched on and off. It ebbs and flows and when you get it right it works when you don't it doesn't. The real dilemma is that there are a dozen talents on the boat and they all have be creatively in sync for the perfect performance.

ETNZ have twice shown what happens when the talent gets out of sync.

As far as foiling skills go, it must be remembered that when OTUSA dreamed up this design, they never even conceptualised foiling. It was Dalton's design team that spotted a "loophole" in the Rule that enabled them to design a foiling boat and it was only once they started sailing on foils in Auckland that OTUSA saw the light. From that moment on, they have been playing catch-up. I believe they have done a really good job of it.

And finally, wasn't de Ridder the mainsail trimmer? I didn't think he was the foil trimmer. Of course I could be wrong - often am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook