SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
post #97 of Old 09-17-2013
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I disagree, I think the speed is incredibly thrilling. The crosses, quick moves, and near misses at 40+ knots are finally making yacht racing exciting. It's really amplifying the little mistakes much more than you'd see in the old mono racing...and making it compelling for a wider audience.

I still think this is the right direction for the AC. If they abandon foiling multis, they're fools.
Who recommended going back to monos? I just see no advantage in these hulls that are so expensive, entire teams had to take a pass. The only time I can really distinguish how fast they are going, is when they show a camera shot perpendicular to the boat, so you can see the water going by. However, I can't see the race itself in that shot. When the shot is from a helicopter, I would love to see someone shown a 30 kt and a 40 kt boat and try to tell the difference consistently.

The races are more exciting than I expected, I just don't see how the incredible investment was necessary. If they raced the 45s, it would have been just as exciting, for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome