SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Interesting that the strongest opponents of steel are the ones who have never sailed one, and have never built owned or maintained one
Strong opponents of steel??

Would you like to identify these ghastly beasts and which posts you refer to? Then we can discuss their specific qualifications to speak on this subject.

I personally just don't see it. People discussed the design considerations and also expressed personal preferences against steel for varying reasons, while conceding that it has advantages.

I only see 'strong opponents' to some of your more outrageous claims.

Quote:
...simply parrot the disinformation propagated by plastic boat salesmen.
This is typical paranoid, patronising BS crap. We are capable of disagreeing with you all on our own without parroting anyone thanks. This disinformation you speak of, would you care to produce some data that proves it to be disinformation??

Quote:
As for performance , Silas Crosby's times were in the same range as most heavily loaded offshore cruisers , better than many, regardless of material. Paul Wilsons comments on the origamiboats site are similar experiences, faster than many stock fibreglass boats.
Moitessier ( who's steel boat I had nothing to do with) made similar fast passage times, in the roaring 40s
Anecdotal but interesting information. What is your point?? Is it that ALL Brent boats are faster than ALL 'plastic' boats? Give me a break. That some steel boats can go faster than some 'plastic' boats?? Well of course.

In general though the point stands that generally steel boats because of their weight are going to perform more poorly than a similar 'plastic' or 'aluminum' boat, particularly in a smaller yacht. This is actually based on scientific fact and figures. You can't counter physics and Newton's Law by saying I know a guy on a steel boat that once in The Pacific went faster than a plastic boat.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 09-17-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook