The day I went to look at what became my first boat, the owner went to hoist the main and forgot that he had disconnected the halyard. A major storm blew through a week or so before, and he had removed the main in anticipation of the storm. Before I arrived, he had put the sail back on, and had freed the halyard (he had it tied off) but my arrival distracted him and he forgot to attach the halyard to the head of the sail. He went to show me the sail, and the one good yank that he used to "get the sail started" was enough to send the halyard to the top of the mast.
I wound up being very interested in the boat, so I decided to see what could be done about the halyard. The following weekend, I returned to his house with a 23' extension handle
to which I had attached "the claw".
That allowed us to grab the shackle at the end of the halyard and pull everything down again.
Two months later, when the boat was hauled, we dropped the mast using an A-frame that I built. The A-frame is EASY to build, and on a C25 (and I suspect a C27) the mast is light enough (it's heavy, but not THAT heavy) that it is easy to handle with an A-frame. In retrospect, if The Claw hadn't worked, it would have been easy for us to fix the halyard by dropping the mast.