SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inflatable kayak as a small boat tender
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable kayak as a small boat tender

I doubt whether an inflatable kayak would be sturdy enough to carry heavy stuff like fuel containers. There are three main considerations in a dink, 1.How far you can go in it comfortably against current, etc. 2. Carrying essentials 3. Where to put it.
Hard dinks are the best but take up a lot of room. There are some awesome rowable hull designs but they are heavy and usually>8' long.
RIBs are light, sturdy but do not row very well to go any distance without a motor.
Sea Kayaks are light, strong, can go anywhere but are very long, usually 16-18' or so and have to be kept on deck.
My solution to the no-outboard choice is to have a RIB, which rows fairly well and is sufficient 95% of the time. I also have an 8' high volume, steep creek type whitewater kayak which I can stow right down below. It will essentially go anywhere: shallow, rocky beaches, rough water, long distance, no problem. It has very little storage but groceries and small stuff fit behind the seat. It also serves as a great exploration boat and a very viable means of abandoning ship if within 30m or so of shore. It and the RIB can be stowed below on long passages, leaving the decks clear. My ideal dink would be a Whitehall rowboat but they are just too big.