SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary night sail
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
It's nice to follow this thread
If you take the boat in and have to go forward to get the spring on the dock, you could instruct the owner to use rudder and engine to keep the boat in place while you tie the other lines.
I thought of that too and might just try it.

As stupid as this sounds this is such a low budget operation we really don't have any extra dock lines. The ones he has are pretty ratty.

He only paid 2,500 for the boat and honestly thought he was going to get a boat for a couple thousand over that. He now has about 20k into the boat and is very surprised about how much stuff costs.

He has a regular job and is not wealthy so this adventure is really a stretch.

Yes I did tell him to not buy this boat as I knew it would cost a lot to fix up.
I was just one of a dozen people at the time giving him advice.
I was actually pretty angry at the broker and yard manager and surveyor for taking his money.
I never expected he would get it in the water.
He also is not very conducive to folks telling him what he can and can't do, has heard it before.

But sometimes folks do the wrong thing and it works out for them.
In this case the unusual off-set companion way and L shaped cockpit make it possible for his wife to board so maybe it was a good decision.

He lost a couple of months getting the boat ready and getting the insurance company to let him take it off the dock.

I'm just trying to let him have an acceptable end of season so maybe he will have 6 months to save some money.

But yes I'm pretty much at the limits of what I think is doable. Their were about 5 other guys that drive boats for SailCTaccess.org and none of them will get near the boat. The power squadron guys have helped him out a lot but they are not too up on sailing.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook