SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

FWIW. I also need to change my chain plates. I have looked at many materials including titanium, silicon bronze, and 316 stainless. At one point I was going to go titanium, but the questionable source of the lower cost material and the high cost of US material put an end to that idea. The problem with machining the material also adds to the compexitity.

Next idea was to use silicon bronze. I did find a source of the silicon bronze but others have pointed out it might not be as strong as stainless and thus the plate may elongate over time or the clevis pin holes may elongate. I think silicon bronze would be ok (and many boats uses them) but I would want to make the plate thicker to compensate for pontential loss of strength. With my boat, make the plates thicker and or wider is complex and difficult as mounting would need modification.

So it looks like I will replace in kind with 316 stainless along with quality 316 ss nuts and bolts.

The other thing to think about is the bolts holding your chain plates. I have removed some of my 316 ss bolts and some have wasted away. So even if you have titanium plates, the bolts should also be titanium or you will still have problems with corrosion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook