SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important boat stuff you forget
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Important boat stuff you forget

Ill play.
Last week took out two work buddies first time sailing. Im an easy going guy and it was a SUPERB day on the water so I was not one to tell my two passengers it was to be a dry ride (different for passage making) so I told them to bring beer if they wanted. Forgot to mention ice however- at least I got to laugh at the faces they made trying to force down piss warm beer haha.

Two months ago on my first shakedown cruise left the inlet in big ground swells. I have a centerboard boat and the centerboard tubes foam insert has not been replaced since I had only been sailing the St. Johns river and never thought it prudent. Well suddenly I look down a mile out of the inlet and every trough the boat plowed into pushed a good pint to quart of water up the centerboard tube into the sole. I had to keep the engine running and both bilge pumps to keep the sole from being flooded and force my 8000 pound bruiser into ponce inlet against an ebb tide and south west wind with an 8 hp yanmar. I only made that mistake once.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook