SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi Paulo,

I hear you, the boat seems to handle well going to weather but no 30 knots and 3 to 4 meter seas yet. Beam is best I can tell you about in lousy seas. I hope over the next 5 years of sailing I don't ever have to sail to weather in over 30 knots and 4 meter seas, I'm sailing to enjoy.

About the downwind stuff. I've sailed down wind for a lot of years in conventional full to full cut away cutter rigs. In those boats and in close seas as I mentioned the problem was always rounding up on the surfing part of the wave. Not over powered but over speed on the down hill and a mast about 18 inched further aft than a sloop rig. We always seemed to pivot at the mast at least it seems that way. With the new boat we have no pivot we never want to round up just a nice sea kindly down wind ride. I could stand behind the helm, NKE on with hands in my pockets and never feel like I was going to get thrown off my feet.

The boat drives very well through wave when going up wind in normal conditions. We do not seem to get slowed down going through a wave as long as we keep her 45 degrees and not less in 2 to 2.5 seas. That's all we have experienced so far. We have sailed well to windward 32 degrees in calm seas.

When will you be back in Portugal? Send us an email. Thank you for the advice on wonderful Galacia. Great wine and great sea food, I love the fish soup and goose neck Barnicles. I caught a nice Blue fin Tuna in the Bay of Biscay small but at about 4 or 5 kilo more than enough for us.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook