Old 09-18-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
New promotional video from Beneteau:

Regards,
Anders
This is a very interesting video and speaks, quite clearly, to Beneteau's intended market. They start by making the sales pitch to exactly the person who is going to have to approve the purchase - the professional woman who is willing to consider the sailing lifestyle but may have misgivings about her ability to sail and about sacrificing comfort to do so.

Notice that the first half of the video shows the woman singlehanding the boat in "Daysailing" configuration. The experience is shown to be very easy and non-threatening - clearly our professional woman can step right aboard and sail this boat by herself, which is an important consideration as many women might be intimidated by the idea. These images are juxtaposed with shots of the open, comfortable, light-filled interior space, just like a vacation condo on the beach.

When the man finally arrives, in the second half, for "Weekend Cruising", the tone shifts to romantic getaway mode (notice the absence of children - again speaks to the target market). Note that conditions are always tranquil and our couple does not stray too far away from shore. No beating upwind in 30 knots for these customers, just peaceful motorsailing or reaching from romantic spot to romantic spot, unfurling the gennaker with ease.

I predict Beneteau will sell a lot of these boats to exactly these kinds of customers. From my perspective, I think I could easily "sell" my wife on this boat, except that I'd be deceiving her about my own true intentions, for which, alas, the Oceanis 38 is not the right boat. So I probably won't be showing her this video. Perhaps some Vendée Globe highlights would be more appropriate, after which I can be quite sure I'll be going alone.