SailNet Community - View Single Post - moving boat
Thread: moving boat
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You better have a radar!! Talk to PBeezer about how delightful the trip is down the ditch. I am soon (well, hopefully one day it seems) to punch off the other way, but here is what you can expect:

Massive rigs, but spottable during daylight. Not all are lit so at night you better have radar. Lots and lots of freighter traffic outside the mouth of the mississippi and inlets. You will most likely give the river a 100+ mile berth offshore. The seas are ok during the early summer (assuming no hurricanes). You don't want to be there in the winter in a northern. The ditch has a lot of freighter traffic. I hated the ditch in Texas... but each to their own.

Hope you have good offshore experience, a solid boat, and a good crew. Plan on about 4-7 days, less at sea if you make a B-line and no stops. You can also truck it from Pensacola. My 40 from Dallas to Biloxi was about 4k at the time. May be less than that now with gas prices down. You could very well have 4k in broken crap on that trip. You are taking the FL to Texas run at the hardest leg in my opinion.

Ask PB his experience and opinions. There are also some offshore riggers that frequent this sight. Hope that helps.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook