SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Why won't we ever have exhilarating, choppy seas on videos and tests? This video is counterproductive, in my opinion. Now I see what was a potentially interesting boat as a "sissy boat", totally lame, delicate, unfit for a potential "real" ocean situation. If this video shows what Beneteaus are made FOR today, they better come up with some real hardcore stuff soon, and have the build quality behind it.
HMoll - But clearly you are not in the target market for the Oceanis 38, which is why the advertisement doesn't appeal to you. Based on what you are saying, you would more likely gravitate toward the Beneteau First line of performance cruisers, like the First 35 or First 40. The advertising for those boats would include video footage of the Fastnet Race and the Sydney-Hobart Race, featuring interpid men sailing upwind in 30 knots.

To be honest, I've seen the marketing videos for the First line and they're very similar to the Oceanis video, only with a bit more realistic sailing in them. But people like us are not influenced by videos, so Beneteau doesn't bother.

Best,