SailNet Community - View Single Post - This curious nautical language
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 09-19-2013 Thread Starter
Once known as Hartley18
Classic30's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,179
Thanks: 52
Thanked 85 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Re: This curious nautical language

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Halliard more commonly spelt Halyard today. I'd never seen the Halliard spelling before this.
Since the original term was "haul-yard" - because, on a square-rigger, it's the rope you use to actually haul the yard up, sail attached, once you've got it unfurled and sheeted to your liking - the spelling shift is an odd one indeed.

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Blackwall Hitch is still in use it seems.
.. as is the Topsail Hitch, even though neither find much use on a modern yacht.

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Handy Billy is a form of black and tackle.
..and a pump if you're American. Worked by blacks perhaps, TD??

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dandy and/or Jigger is a form of mizzen sail, most commonly seen on yawls.
..and on a great many full-rigged ships, so that one will be around for a while yet. It does tend to dance around a bit when sailing down-wind though, and perhaps that's where the reference to certain types of people came from.

A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 09-19-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome