SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Oceanis 38

My wife likes going upwind - and still picked the Oceanis 38 as the boat of the show in the in water boat show at Hallberg-Rassy in August And I guess the video did not harm that picture in any way.

We have discussed the boat before and I still think we should look at this boat with open eyes. Despite very small sail area and bad sails the boat sailed well when I made a brief test in light winds. The same noted Seil-magazine from Norway in their short review of exactly the same boat, as did Swedish magazine testers.

I think hull is interesting, B/D-ratio very similar to many other contemporary designs today, including many of the new, beamy twin-rudder, chined French boats and the Elans, not to mention the other less expensive boats from Bavaria, Hanse etc.

Small rig with bad deckware can rather easy be replaced and retweaked with main sail traveller in cockpit etc. and the arc is perfect for stowing cockpit canopy against, a la Malö-style. At least up here the canopy is a constant problem as beeing too complicated to handle and stove.

Interior wonderful in our opinion. Can be tewaked for your own style. I have for instance through 7 different boats now tried to find a decent saloon layout for 3 persons to watch TV in in comfort but failed so far. Elan 333 from 2003 leading in that deparment still.

And my old Oceanis 40 was as good going to weather, in 25-30 knots of wind and the similar short waves of perhaps 1,5 m as Paulo mentioned from the med, as my previous boat, a very different Dehler 43 CWS. When I test sailed the RM1200 in 2009 it was much worse than the Oceanis. Yes, I know RM 1200 is not a wave piercer either but still twice the price. With twin rudders now on the Oceanis 38 perhaps also the broaching-problem when ower pressed is solved to a big extent.

I totally agree with Curt Gelin, the Swedish memeber in the European yacht Jury: "Beneteau has something nice here - new rig and better hardware and it could be really interesting."

Regards,
Anders

Last edited by JAndersB; 09-20-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook