SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32
Thread: westsail 32
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the "Colin Archer" type although I understand why some people love them and they do look fabulous. One of the advantages of this kind of boat, particularly the gaff rigged versions, is that with a long boom and relatively large mainsail they often have very respectable performance on a reach or a run (wing and wing) without the use of a spinnaker. Prior to the advent of easier handling systems for spinnakers and the introduction of cruising chutes very few single or short handed cruisers would use anything other than standard working sails. Given that 'gentlemen do not sail to windward' reaching performance was more important than pointing when it came to earlier cruising concepts. Today with socks to control lightwind running and reaching that advantage is somewhat diminished. This can also partially explain the earlier popularity of ketches, with the ability to set a mizzen staysail making up for lower efficiency compared to a masthead sloop or cutter.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook