SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Catalina Yachts
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: New Catalina Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
As stated I just bought a Catalina 445. I had my choice of any boat out there but choose the Catalina for the way it is made. First let me dispel the price point difference. When you get down to what the standard equipment vs options list on all mass production boats Catalina comes out on top within a few dollars. The french boats are stripped down for the most the part, for example a fuel filter system is NOT included. Materials used is head and shoulders above mass production boats and is almost equivalent to Tartan, Pacific Seacraft and other high end builders. The hull is a 5 part construction vs 2 in other production boats. All the sailing hardware is top draw. The windlass is 3 steps above the cheap Lewmar and oversize. Aluminum toe rail vs some cheap small teak toe rail that won't hold anything going overboard. A real galley Bob Perry would be proud of to include a real freezer and a refrigerator that actually holds something other than a case of coke. A real nav station to work on. A real electrical panel. A place to put other electrical toys in the aux panel. Real storage in all the cabins to cruise in. There are no closets shelves in any of the french boats in the master cabin. Real ventilation hatches throughout the boat. The list goes on and on when you peel away the autistic looks and divulge into all the systems of a big boat. I have visit all the factories. Customer service is the best at Catalina. I have everyone's personal cell phone at the factory including Gerry Douglas if the need should arrive. I don't know any other manufacture that does this. The boat is built in the USA. It is why I choose the Catalina.
Mel, Catalina should hire you to do their marketing.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook