SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Offshore Overnight- Advice Sought
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Offshore Overnight- Advice Sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I have crossed between Florida and the Bahamas a few times. There is NO WAY I would do what you are planning. Bank sleep before you leave and keep a good lookout as you cross that busy shipping lane.

If you get into a situation on a longer passage where you have to sleep and there is a risk of other vessels, sleep during the day and keep a lookout at night.

If you anchor on the Banks for a sleep get off the rhumb line between waypoints and make sure you are well lit.

Again thank you for the concern but I think you are confusing trips. I am solo sailing just offshore of ponce inlet and trying to try my hand at sleeping.. though now I think I will do the egg timer as a precaution.

I would not sleep during a gulf crossing and I am veing very thorough in my route planning for the Bahamas trip which so far is planned in detail all the way to tiloo cay (spelling might be off).

I will stay up I suppose with a few 20 minute naps thrown in when and if I get sleepy. Again my outbound heading will be determined on the wind. Its been south south west then goes all the way to north east or even north so again the direction I leave out 20 miles will depend on wind forecast for day im leaving and coming back.

I will keep you all posted and check back on this thread a few times daily for further advice and feedback.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook