SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Offshore Overnight- Advice Sought
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Offshore Overnight- Advice Sought

Are you aware that the AVERAGE speed of the current in the stream is 2.5 knots on the 50 mile passage from Lauderdale to Bimini? At the point you are planning to heave to you would be a lot deeper into the axis of the current (I've had up to 8 knots) and even at 2.5, if you heave to for 10 hours you will be 25 miles or more north of where you began and probably another 10 to 15 north of NSB where you stop sailing, never mind the current as you sail back in. So even in moderate current conditions, you could approach the Fla coast 55 or 60 miles north of NSB, a hell of a long sail south against the current.
Perhaps going south 50 miles or so in the ICW before you head east would be a better plan.
As mentioned above, there is a lot of traffic in that area and with the added speed of the current, you couldn't count on 20 minutes of rest with your egg timer. When I single hand, I too use the egg timer, set for 11 minutes after 5 minutes on the cabin top checking out the horizon. This has only failed me once, and that was a military ship, making upwards of 40 knots. Do not rest in a bunk, or the cockpit (a very bad habit to get into), but instead at the table below; a not too comfortable napping place.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing your tale.

Last edited by capta; 09-22-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook