SailNet Community - View Single Post - Musings of a Live Aboard
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Musings of a Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK, so here's a really naive question. Is there a size of boat at which an apartment-size washer/dryer (the little units with washer on bottom and dryer on top) becomes viable? Or do they generate too much heat, or too much grey water? Obviously I'm referring to a boat that is in a marina slip with shore power.

I've always had a dream of living on a boat, but realize that it will probably never happen. (Still I can dream.) For my wife, the thought of having to walk to use shoreside facilities makes it a non-starter, and using coin-operated laundry facilities would not be to her liking. Short showers on the boat would work for her (as we learned while chartering), but the laundry thing has no viable option unless there was something we could install on a large enough boat.
Clearly, you have too many clothes

When we were both still working full time and living aboard, we just dropped off our clothes once a week and picked them up washed, fluffed and folded. We found it a very practical solution. Now that we have more time on our hands (And fewer clothes) we do our own laundry ashore. It can be a great social activity.

Come to think of it, in Honolulu we know two enterprising live-aboard teenagers who would pick up your laundry from your boat, and return it washed, dried and folded (For a small fee of course)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 09-21-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: forgetful
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook