SailNet Community - View Single Post - Install anchor chain markers
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Re: Install anchor chain markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillessinseattle View Post
Is there a trick or an easier way than pulling out all the chain from the locker and laying that out on the dock? Say you have 300ft of 1/2 inch chain and you want to mark the whole chain. How about pulling the boat so the rollers are over the dock so you can use the windlass? I have never dealt with this much chain.
I have done just that on the pontoons of a dock.

I pulled the chain out to 12metre lengths (chart depths are usually in metres), bringing the next length alongside the previous length. It was easier to mark the chain in 3meter marks, so that when dropped, I would have a better idea of how much to let out with relation to the depth.

I marked the chain with dayglo paint at one link as the mark for the first 3metres, two links for the marks for the 2nd 3metres and so on. I only have 40metres of chain, so only marked up to 9 marks. 10metres was one mark, 11 was two.

i.e. if I anchored in a depth of 5 metres, I let out the chain to the 5th mark (15metres), being the minimum chain to depth for good weather. For any blow, I would let out more chain to be sure not to drag.

I was thinking of using cable ties, but worried that any sharp end would result in a cut on the hand.