SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Read these articles (in Norwegian) to get some more background.

Fjord Sail gir seg med Elan - SEILmagasinet
Fjord Sail og Elan fortsetter - SEILmagasinet

The short version, the Norwegian distributor resigned from a 15 years cooperation with Elan in February 2013 due to disagreement with Elan on their new boats.

In May 2013 he again started to sell Elan in Norway.
I have myself worked with the former Swedish Elan importer for a couple of years and also know Tor from that time. I also bought a new Elan 333 in 2003. I smiled for myself when I earlier read that Fjord Sail will stop with Elan due to among other things warranty problems. We had same problems in Sweden.

Going back to the 400 I basically think Elan is doing the right thing making it slightly more traditional. I do not think Elan are prepeared to make the boats as extreme as the Pogos and then they will not plane without very big efforts. Accepting semi-planing speeds and improving up- and downwind and light wind speeds might be the way many are going today.

By the way, I sailed hard on the wind today, TWS 20-28 knots and 2-3 m high swell from Scotland. Two reefs and staysail. Boat behaving excellent, no hard slams and appr. 6,5-7 knots speed at 35-40 AWA. Very saitisfied with how the boat took it.

Regards,
Anders
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook