SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Wing keels? Not for me. If you sail, you eventually go aground. Wing keels aren't fun in mud. As for draft, use your depth finder and charts...it's no problem...you just have to stay more aware. But really, consider you draw either 3'6" or 6', in 7' of water either way you'd better pay attention. I've always sailed fins. Love the way they point and turn. I had a Cal 9.2 that drew 5'7", and it turned like it was on a lazy susan.

About NC, better spend some time there to see if you like the a.heat b. mosquitos c.the...culture (do you have diverse culinary tastes? good luck finding...oh...hummas?). And (I lived in Oriental for 2+years) on the Chesapeake there are endless destinations. On the Pamlico? nothing. Ocracoke is great but mot an easy trip, and once there you can be stuck for days by weather. Other than Ocracoke, really not much. Yeah Oriental is cute, but nothing there. New Bern is cute, but WAAAY up the river. Lotta crab docks tho....

And the Tartan is about ready! I've decided to shave the bottom. Varying opinions on the necessity, but I'm OCD and want her to be a jewel....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook