SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very n00b questions from a prospective sailor.
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013

jeremiahblatz is on a distinguished road
Re: Very n00b questions from a prospective sailor.

Thermophile,

I registered an account to reply to your message. I'd recommend that before you buy a boat, you join a sailing club. There are a bunch on the Hudson in both NJ and NY. A bit over a year ago, I joined one (HRCS) with no sailing experience at all. I had read one of those "intro to sailing boats," so I sorta knew what the parts of the boat were. I didn't take any classes, but I went out on an instructor-led sail or two, before going on sails with other members. I soon got in with a bad crowd (racers) and during the last fall and spring and summer of this year, I've been out about 3 days every week. I never did get around to taking a class.

The membership fees are quite reasonable, especially compared with paying for a mooring spot. The nice part about the New York area is that there are enough people that sailing clubs work really well. I personally know of Hudson River Community Sailing, the Manhattan Sailing Club, the Hoboken Sailing Club, and SailNY. There are probably more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremiahblatz For This Useful Post:
Thermophile (09-24-2013)