SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I haven't seen a single post from Smack which provides a fraction the information in that post. He provides only disinformation.
When you say I provide "disinformation", you have to remember that that post consists of your words, not mine. And that really seems to bother you. I'm glad you're finally admitting that there are some issues. It's an important step.

If you WANT to provide information that is useful, provide a worst-case, full budget for building and fitting out one of your 36' boats (worst-case meaning the builder is not spending years scrounging the dump for free stuff, but buying what is needed as thriftily as possible). We've already seen the figure of $35K...prior to being fitted out with equipment, instruments etc. So the $50K budget seems roughly accurate (though I honestly think an average builder would spend more than that all-in). A detailed spreadsheet with these numbers from you would certainly help a wannabe cruiser weigh the pros vs. cons of building a steel boat.

So...are you going to help that wannabe cruiser? Or just leave him hanging?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.