SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

I'm with you on fins, but the boats I like are 5'11" fins and that is too long for Upper Ches. I checked with Tidewater in Havre de Grace, just to see what they thought. They have all under 5'6" and the only 6' draft basically never goes out, or so rarely due to requirement to come and go at a high enough depth.
I'm concerned about that NC issue of "not much to see when sailing". I'm ok with the other issues you note, one reason we are looking there. But, I keep noting to the wife that Tidewater VA is still in the lead for me. We looked at 33 houses there (drive-by's) all around the Norfolk area, from Toano north and in a large (more rural/suburban) circular route, Smithfield, Chesapeake, Moyock (NC), over to Pungo, and up to Gloucester. If I can stay off the Peninsula Traffic and find good schools, that area has Chesapeake, James, York, Atlantic Ocean, and many Bays (Mobjack, etc.) to explore and stay. I lived in North San Diego County, in Carlsbad, CA and sailed out of Camp Pendleton/Oceanside.....same thing as NC, out in the Ocean, around here and there, parallel to the shore, never really seeing anything but the same, basic shoreline.....very boring.
The Sabre 34 MkI has 5'6" fin, but prices can be higher than later Pearson's, and they don't look any different than a Pearson. I also read somewhere they used wood in places that can be prone to rot and you need to watch for that. The MKI's are in the high $20's and 30's, and probably compare to the Pearson 34's (5'11" fin are faster, and the P-34 CBs are no slouch either, in similar design/layout.
Any thoughts on the 1983-1986 P-34 vs the later (newer design P31-2 or P33-2's?)
thanks for the info.

Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook