SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

I agree that it looks like Barker is giving up - in the last race he was the leeward boat and Spithill was windward of him. Despite Spithill luffing Barker in three races, Barker allowed Spithill to sail right on by without even an attempt to push him to weather and slow him down. From a multiple world champ match racer that was a display of a total lack of aggression. And that is no way to win against Spithill who displays aggression in every move he makes.

But here's what I think of the change in fortune.

ETNZ has had a lot of racing, time to get their boat going and learn all there was to learn. And compared to everything else, they looked hard to beat. Along came Oracle and they couldn't keep up. For a while. Then they start hammering ETNZ on a regular basis and suddenly they look invincible.

So maybe intrinsically, their boat was always a better design. But they took longer to learn how it worked or rather, they had less race time. But as they got to know the boat better, they were able to explore/develop its true potential.

And that potential was/is better than the potential of ETNZ's boat which has been at its peak for a while and has nothing further to offer.

And as I said in another (or earlier) post these AC series have for years been a runaway train for the better boat. And if the Oracle boat is better and is now delivering its full potential, nobody should be surprised if Oracle win the next three races.

As much as it burns my a$$ to see ETNZ starting to routinely lose, I must acknowledge that Oracle at this time look like they won't require a court case to win - they just need the next three races.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 09-24-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook