SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Why won't we ever have exhilarating, choppy seas on videos and tests? This video is counterproductive, in my opinion. Now I see what was a potentially interesting boat as a "sissy boat", totally lame, delicate, unfit for a potential "real" ocean situation. If this video shows what Beneteaus are made FOR today, they better come up with some real hardcore stuff soon, and have the build quality behind it.
Sometimes they do in testing but that is just not the type of boat that will perform better on those conditions. I still say that the Oceanis worst performance will be in upwind sailing in choppy sea or bad weather. If one wants a boat that performs well on those conditions it should look for a more moderate beam and most of all to a more powerful boat (more overal RM).

If we look at the market we can see that the main difference between performance boats and main mass market cruisers is that the first are less beamy (with exception of particular boats like the Pogo) and have a considerable bigger RM for the weight. That is managed by a bigger draft or and by a bigger B/D ratio.

That bigger RM to the weight is what allows them to have a bigger SA/D and that allows them not only going faster in light wind but also to have the power to go faster upwind specially in bad weather were power is of the essence. Of course they can go faster in any point of sail but the bigger difference would be on these two points and also in what regards pointing.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 09-24-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook