SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ready to buy

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
The money is in the bank and we''re finally ready to buy a new coastal cruiser. We will be sailing the Chesapeake, Pamlico, ICW, Keys and Bahamas. We''ve looked at early 70''s to early 80''s C&C, Tartan, Cals, Pearsons, etc. While some of these were certainly fine sailing vessels, none of them have the living space I want.

We have established the following criteria:
~33 - 37 feet (sloop or cutter)
~Aft double birth & head (my husband could live in a cave, but I need the space)
~Good sailing performance as relates to safety and convenience. We do NOT race.
~V-birth can be used for stowage. It will just be the 2 of us.
~Our budget is $75,000 after all upfitting.
~We are both very mechanical and enjoy working on projects, so we are not opposed to dong a moderate refit.

I really like the mid 80''s and newer Pearsons. They have the room I''m looking for. There are a couple of boats we have not looked at and would like some opinions:
Islanders, CSY, Endeavor and Express 35. We don''t want to send the cruising fund searching, so we are trying to limit our options.

We would love to have your opinions on these or any other boats which might fit our needs and wants.

Thanks
EL

See less See more
#7 ·
I would skip the Endeavor if you want a good upwind boat. They are heavy boats. The Pearsons are nice boats, but so are the C&C and Tartans. The C&C''s tend to be more of a racer/cruiser but some are very comfortable. Personally I really like the Tartan''s, they have great lines. CSY is a great boat, a friend just helped with a delivery of a CSY 44. He was very impressed with her. The Islanders are nice but not quite up to the others in my opinion. I am afraid I don''t know much about the Express 35, although it looks impressive. Another boat I would toss into the mix here is the Catalina 36.

#9 ·
Why would any one go to " www.a1line.com " when your obvious total lack of ethics as evidenced by spamming this forum and violating its rules against commercial posting shows that you are a totally untrustworthy person?

#12 ·
We''ve looked at the older Tartans. Great, well built vessel, but the "old" traditional layout just doesn''t work for us after being aboard newer boats, ie: Pearson, Bavaria, Bene., Hunter.

For under 75k, we are really leaning towards the Pearson 36 tri-cabin. Of the bunch, they seem to be the better built. I still want to get aboard an Islander CC and a newer C&C. I''m not not familiar with their construction or sailing characteristics. Any thoughts?

#13 ·
We have a 1973 center cockpit 37 Irwin for sale in very good condition for $32,000. It has two berths in a large aft cabin with it''s own head (the forward V-berth has it''s own head as well. Solid hand laid fiberglass hull, pre-blister era, 5/16" 1x19 standing rigging, shoal draft. If you''d like more details- email TaffBerrian@msn.com

#14 ·
El,
Although you may not be interested in my boat ''Daze Off'' I have lived aboard and sailed over 4000 miles in 3.5 years, I/we have survivied two hurricanes (Floyd and Michelle) and would like to recommend you look at ALUMINIUM.
I have too much to tell you, you can either ask or look at my own home site at http://us.geocities.com/moredazeoff/
Good luck - it took me 2 years!!!

#19 ·
Dont be afraidof a boat thats a little on the heavy side,they are usually built well.
besides if you are going to live abord , a
light fin keeled boat (especially a small
one) will not sit as well at anchor.
A heavyer boat will give a better motion
in a seaway , will be safer in rough weather and will take a grounding better
because its ballast is fully incapsulated.
Boating is a trade-off.Read some books!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.