SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013

scottie55 is on a distinguished road
Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Hi all. This is my first post. Just joined the forum.

I have a question. What is the best way to sail from California to Florida? In the next year I want to do this. Some of my relatives moved the Southern US recently from California and I want to be closer to them. I'm planning on keeping my boat in Miami, FL. I'll be leaving from Long Beach, CA.

As for the trip I'll be doing it in a 1966 26-foot Islander Excalibur sailboat and will be doing it singlehanded except for my dog. My plan is to sail off from Southern California and go offshore about 15-20 miles and sail down Baja. Get to Cabo San Lucas. And then sail down the Mexico mainland down into Central America. Then finally get to Panama and go through the canal. From there sail up the Caribbean side of Central America to Cancun, Mexico. And then head out offshore through the Gulf to Cuba and finally to Miami.

Has anyone here ever done a sail like that? Any tips or suggestions? Like the best time of year for the trip or how long it would take. Or different route suggestions. Would I have to worry about sea pirates or drug cartels?

Thanks and appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook